Dental bonding is a procedure in which a tooth-colored resin material (a durable plastic material) is applied and hardened with a special light, which ultimately “bonds” the material to the tooth to restore or improve person’s smile.
This process is used for a variety of purposes:
- To repair decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities)
- To repair chipped or cracked teeth
- To improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- To close spaces between teeth
- To make teeth look longer
- To change the shape of teeth
- As a cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings
- To protect a portion of the tooth’s root that has been exposed when gums recede
Dental bonding is dependent on the artistic ability of the dentist, since the work is done “freehand,” without taking impressions or using a laboratory. The tooth must be color matched, sculpted and polished to produce a beautiful and natural looking result. With decades of experience, Dr. Docktor is one of the most well regarded doctors in the Philadelphia area for this procedure.